Dear NYC PHRF Racers, The organization that is responsible for administrating our PHRF racing handicaps, PHRF - LAKE ONTARIO, is implementing changes for the 2014 racing season as follows. PHRF-LO is implementing five changes for the 2014 racing season. The details of the changes are available on the PHRF-LO website under Sail & Handicapping Guidelines Support.
- Discontinuation of the +3 sec/mile 183% spinnaker grandfather credit
- Headsail Half Width measurement required for non-triangular headsails that sheet in front of the spreaders
- Spinnakers ratings will be based on sail area, changing from mid girth, requiring symmetrical spinnaker foot measurements
- All new mains and existing square top mains require measurements including Main Girth Middle, Main Girth Upper and Headboard width
- Other adjustments include non-standard mast, -6 sec/mile for a boat with a carbon fiber mast where the class has an aluminum mast, +6 sec/mile for a boat with an aluminum mast where the class has a carbon fiber mast, +6 sec/mile for an in mast roller fuller main where it is not standard in the class, and +6 sec/mile for any center line tacked spinnaker on a boat that does not carry a spinnaker pole or articulating bowsprit