June 1903 - The first power boats at the National Yacht and Skiff Club. The 1890's fleets of the West End Boating and National Yacht Clubs were all sailing vessels consisting of narrow skiffs less than 18' in length, small deep draft knockabouts and larger sail boats including Mackinaws, traditional sloops and yawls. The first reference to a power boat in the NYC roster is recorded on June 6, 1903. Harry Stubbs highly polished brass steam launch TESBY cruised with Club sail boats to Frenchman's Bay. Gasoline motor boats were becoming available in Canada around this time and interest in fast motorboats grew rapidly in the early years of the 20th century. Frank Fielding, Club Secretary-Treasurer, owned a gasoline launch by August 1903. It often provided a new service - towing members' skiffs to and from the race course and regattas. Captain Maw and George Fielding had newly designed gasoline motor boats with spark plug devices in 1904. As Toronto's yacht clubs had half a dozen flyers by 1905, a proposal was made to hold the first ever handicap motor boat race on Toronto Bay. Stubbs's TESBY was employed as the Judges boat for Toronto's Dominion Day Regatta. 1906 was a benchmark year for NYC's power fleet:
- A Motor Boat Section was formed to promote cruising and racing.
- Joining the fleet were a couple of large class speedsters capable of 14 mph - a top end speed at the time.
- QCYC and NYC's fleets joined forces and cruised to Oakville for a rendezvous with the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club's motor boat fleet.
- Commodore Edward Collette branched into power boat racing purchasing VIOMA which he raced successfully.
- AUTO-FLOAT and VIPER won all the Large Class silverware at the Toronto Motor Boat Regatta. NYC hosted parties in celebration.
- Lou Marsh had the first taste of power boat racing in his 23". Marsh endorsed the power bug - a foretaste of things to come for the National. Marsh's golden years of "sea flea" racing were still some 20 years in the future.